Department for Education Vision for the Primary PE and Sport Premium
All pupils leaving primary school should be physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy, active lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
The premium must be used to fund additional and sustainable improvements so the provision of PE and sport to encourage the development of healthy, active lifestyles.
It is expected that schools will see an improvement against the following 5 key indicators.
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school.
- The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement.
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport.
- Broader experience of a range of sport and activities offered to all pupils.
- Increased participation in competitive sport.